Skip to main content

Tua Pui the Chubby Cat

www.smartdory.com
Gray and white friendly tom cat on the beach. Photo by Doris Lim


There was a little crack at our metal door leading to the back lane, which Dad never got around to fixing.

Mother would nag daily. “The rats will gnaw their way through”, she’ll start. Then snakes will come in, monitor lizards too. Maybe crocodiles with sharp teeth, I thought. Horrified.

My brothers’ ears prick up at that. They thought to themselves, we could capture and keep these as pets. We could capture, use them to form a circus. We could capture and use it to terrify Dee Dee then cook it for her dinner.

So they chose to watch the going-ons at the “hole” instead or playing war games with their friends. After a week of mindless waiting, the boys soon give up.


www.smartdory.com
Craggy tom cat, Sg. Bakap. Photo by Doris Lim

I would only go into the kitchen and use the toilet if my sisters or Mother accompanies me. One day, I cried and demand that my potty be placed in the living room. The “hole” looks large and looms with dark creatures with sharp teeth.

I would glance nervously every time I go to the bathroom. Bathing in my iron tub was a quick affair. I’ll climb out covered with suds at times. I’ll cry pitifully if the tub was place too close to that “hole”. My mother puts a stop to this after a week of my constant whimpering. She hammers a nail into the bathroom door post and hangs up the viper cane. That settles it.

Bath time returns to a quiet, co-operative affair. My lips purses into a thin line, my eyes huge pools of silent protest.

That morning, I let out a shriek. Mother stops scrubbing me and to turns me around roughly. I didn’t care. I refuse to budge and let out another shriek and point to the “hole”. There’s a little white paw. It gingerly inches its way in and pads around.

Friendly cats in Istanbul. Photo by Lee Fock Cheran

Hush… Mother said, watching it intently. It’s a little kitten, she whispers in my ear. I think it wants to come live with us.

It was a Tuesday when “tua pui” came to live with us. He was so scrawny, dirty smelly and sick that mother said we must call him “tua pui” meaning “chubby one” so he would live.

Tua Pui has an ear that flop to the back of his head. The nerve’s dead, Dad explained to us, “It just can’t stand upright like other cat’s ears, that’s all. He hears fine, don’t worry little one,” he looks tenderly at me, pulling my cheeks.

“It’s like a beauty spot,” Dad winks, looks over lovingly at Mother and points to the left corner of his own mouth. Mother has a tiny brown mole there. Dad also refers to it as her beauty spot.

Dad likes to call him Cat. My brothers call him all sorts of superhero names. My sisters ignore him completely. They hate fur. I call him, Meowmee. “He’s mine”, I’d reply with indignation, “I can call him what I like, he doesn’t mind,” with that I carry Meowmee in my toddler’s arms to my favourite corner.

www.smartdory.com
Gray and white pensive tom cat on the beach. Photo by Doris Lim

Meowmee, love fish as all cats do. Mother sighs, another small one to watch over. At least bathing is not an issue. And so the little girl and Cat became the best of friends.

Doris Lim is a popular freelance writer who blogs as Little Fish on travel and food stories here. Be sure to check out her other inspiring stories and follow her Instagram @SmartDoryID & Facebook to check out more places to eat delicious street foods or dine in the best restaurants!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAHD With His TV Dramas

Wills grins sheepishly. This girl is more than a little surprise to learn of his secret passion at night. Earlier on, she confesses her secret sin of chocolate truffles at midnight. Over copious cups of Pu Erh tea, Wills narrates the plots and sub plots of the Hokkien tele-drama that he has been following into the wee hours of the mornings. “You’ve really turned into a housewife!” she retorts. The going on and shenanigans of the Taiwanese drama is a melting pot of who-dun-its, business takeovers and sibling rivalry over the same girl. Wills is a SAHD or stay-at-home dad. Sometimes referred to as a househusband or house-spouse, he is the father of two lovely boys age 9 and 12. He is the main caregiver and the homemaker of the household. After years of putting gruelling hours at the office which took a toll on his health and quality of life; Wills made a life changing decision. He quit his high paying senior position in a foreign bank. He relocates his family back to his home

Let’s Do Turkeys for Chinese New Year

“Dee, can you get the Yim Kai from the fridge?” Kay’s mother hollers from the kitchen. I look at Kay, who is equally blurred. Salted Chicken? We look into both fridges, opening and closing doors. There was a large turkey sitting in the chiller staring back. Maybe it’s a Cantonese tradition, Kay volunteers. Kay’s mother ambles towards us, she has the look of one annoyed with the foolishness of youth – that being Kay and I. She shoves pass us and takes the turkey out. “As plain as day itself and these two think they can cook it by staring at it!” or some Cantonese idioms to that effect. Both Kay and I are clueless. He doesn’t speak his mother tongue and I, being part Hakka am equally hopeless. Kay’s mother glares at us. “I thought you meant salted chicken, Mom,” Kay says. Kay’s mother takes out the bird and places him on a large enamel plate. “I had to book this Yim Kai from Ipoh. This one’s a big boy, about 6.5kg and cost RM50 per kilo, “she boasts. Yim Kai is a cast

Metamorphosis

I wrote in my sypnosis for Malay Mail Weekend Happenings; “Artist Renny Cheng debuts out of his signature figurative pieces and hits a raw nerve with his contemporary pieces with splashes of bold vibrant colour the creases and folds, peel back as he morphs out of the ordinary.” Renny's has the cutest fringe in Penang. Us chickadees pale in comparison,  Doris Lim is distorted next to badass writer Ruzanna Muhammed, E&O gallery manager Wanida Razali and Hin Bus Depot curator Gabija Grusaite. His metamorphosis is deviation and rightly so. This is not for the collector who says, “Hmmm…. Abstract art, either you loathe it or love it. I’m neither.” Says my friend CTW, “I go for impressionist art.” CTW’s was the first to comment on my FB post! Of course, lots of arty folks heading over from the Ernest Zacharevic x E&O gallery next door. I just love the traffic from one gallery to another! And rightly so, lots of colours and scenery, I get where you’re coming from CTW